My knee works as a shoulder shaping model! Awesome!
For my first sweater I think it is going okay. I (thankfully) am not getting fed up or bored with it despite it being stockinette. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I am only half way through the neckline shaping so there are a lot of increases going on to break it up. I also am really enjoying seeing the shoulder shaping happen. Who knew knitting a structured fitted garment could be so rewarding!
The sweater hasn’t been entirely smooth going, though. This IS my first sweater and frankly my first item where following the pattern actually matters. I also feel a lot of pressure (self imposed) because damn, this is a lot of yarn and a lot of stitches and a lot of time invested so it sure as hell better not suck.
Issue #1: It is pretty gappy where I picked up the stitches for the shoulder/arm section. Maybe it looks the way it should but I’m not convinced. I’m still holding on to a vague hope that this won’t be noticeable or problematic once the sweater is done and being worn but I am a little concerned due to the fact that the shoulder area is a part that is inevitably super visible and looked at.
Issue #2: Similarly, along the right hand shoulder where I started doing the increases I ended up with some significant gappiness where the new yarn was brought in. I don’t think I kept the new yarn held snug enough because everything sort of spaced out. I did try to correct it by feeding the excess yarn along to the as yet not sewn in end, but it ended up looking even worse. I ended up crocheting up some of the slack to even things out and conceal it. It definitely looks better than it did, but it still looks odd I think.
Lesson of the day: It actually matters that you put your increases on the correct side of the marker!
Issue #3: I screwed up on my shoulder increases and for the stupidest reason ever. The problem was that I got all cavalier and didn’t pay attention to exactly where the increases should go (before or after the marker), and I also ignored the left leaning vs. right leaning difference. I think I figured “What the heck! As long as I have the right number of stitches it will work out!” Um, no. For a few rows at the top of the shoulder the increases definitely don’t look right. I eventually sucked it up, moved the markers back to where they should have been if I had done the increases in the correct location and I started doing the left and right increases correctly. Lo and behold, things are looking WAY better, way smoother, no gappiness. I will call this lesson learned.
Issue #4: I have the odd row of way-off tension. It isn’t so visible from the right side, but it is painfully apparent when looking at it from the wrong side. I don’t think this is necessarily the end of the world, and I am really hoping that a long soak and proper blocking once done will even it out, but it does irritate me.
None of these are deal breakers or problems that would make me frog and start all over (though the effed up increases comes close…), and so I slog on. REALLY looking forward to getting to knitting my first stripe, but I have about 40 rows to go before I get to switch colours.
And finally, I am impressed with this Cascade Heritage Sock Yarn. I don’t know what I was expecting but it is frankly lovely yarn to knit with, and the knitted material is really soft and smooth. I mean, sure, I’d love to say it is entirely due to my superb knitting skills, but lets be honest… the yarn has a lot to do with it… Plus, it wasn’t stupid expensive. So it turns out the popularity of Cascade Heritage Sock Yarn is well deserved. And for the record, I have absolutely no affiliation with Cascade Yarns and I get nothing for saying I like this yarn so much. I just really like it.
Click here to see every post about my Stripes Gone Crazy sweater, or visit my Ravelry project page.